Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Taxman

Well, those nasty, arrogant, momma's boys juniors accomplished their goal: Mr. Weber is no longer our physics teacher. Okay, yeah, a lot of the time he didn't really know what he was talking about, but he was nice and funny enough and tried to make the class a little interesting. And lots of teachers at school make mistakes and get confused. And just because certain people find it easy doesn't mean that other people aren't struggling (because half of the kids in my physics class find the subject genuinely hard and need to go slowly and get help). I wrote a scathing article for the newspaper about how sooner or later these kids (Jeremy Tatar, Ross Makulec, Craig Jakobsen) are going to have to realize that their moms aren't always going to bail them out of every situation. That's one of the main problems with the Academy: the parents are involved, which can be a good thing (example: at the school board meeting last night, Academy parents, students, and teachers succeeded in getting AP class grades weighted and factored into class rank, which should keep non-Academy slackers from making valedictorian), but it also can produce these arrogant jerks (Ross is my friend from a long way back, but he falls into this category) that think they can have their way anytime they want just by signing a few petitions and standing up at a few school board meetings. Reality check, guys: the world's not going to fall at your feet because you're smart and your mommy loves you. Grow up.

Other than that situation, things have been good lately. We have our first quiz bowl tournament tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing Brad'n'Kristen and Trevkeeper, but certainly not to getting up at five a.m. to drive to Champaign for this Earlybird thing. The car ride's probably going to be pretty unbearable, too: Ms. Greene, John Brown, Ryan, and Patrick. Oh, joy. I'll be sure to pack extra batteries for my CD player. The freshmen who are joining quiz bowl are quite good so far. Also, Lindsey Pearson joined, so I'm no longer the only girl. Not sure if this is a good thing or not; Lindsey and I aren't exactly pals, so it's not as if I suddenly have an ally, and I doubt that Ryan and Patrick will quit making fun of me. At least Donald graduated, so maybe they won't bring that issue up again.

And today was a nice day, just cool. Two tests, which should have made it bad, but psych was easy and Euro wasn't bad. I zipped through it, finishing way before anyone else, which was weird and a little unnerving. Like, did I miss something? But I'd written the essay all out in my TA hour, which is right before Euro, so I didn't have to think much. Key Club was canceled, so my sister and I went to the Cherry Valley library on the way home from school, and I got a stack of books and DVDs. And the best news was that Hayley finally found PageMaker, which we need to lay the paper out, and brought it to school: all is well. And Jackie Whitworth dropped off a disk with two long articles on it, so the paper should (crossing fingers) be ready to go by the end of next week. And from now on producing the paper will be so much easier. A load of worry taken off my back.

My mom and dad are having dinner at Hooters (I know, weird) tonight with some friends. When Maureen and I got home this afternoon, my dad had left a message on the answering machine that the babysitter had backed out, so we have to babysit for their friends' kid, Ross. He's two and extremely cute, and has been toddling around getting into everything. I slipped away to get online, though; there's only so long you can sit in front of a toddler, holding up different toys to amuse him for thirty seconds before he gets bored and needs new stimulation. That's not an exaggeration; you know what I mean if you've ever been around a kid this age.

3 Comments:

Blogger John said...

I remember when my sister was that age. Man, that was a long time ago. :-(

Don't count on donald going away. And what's with 5 am? I know its unavoidable but damn.

The Euro test was awesome, definately not mr. lh's normal multiple choice. I mean, there were at least three straight up title-authors that I know form quiz bowl. The essay was pretty good, mostly because we talked about that so much and he gave it to us beforehand.

I'm waiting for that paper. It hope it's good. Last year's first issue was ok, and they got better. Plus, there was that one amazing one.

I tend to agree with you about mr. weber. I don't know the man or really his class so i don't think that I really deserve an opinion on the specific matter. Hence why I refused to sign the petition. But I definately agree that he wasn't given much of a chance. And unfortunately, academy people know how to work the system. I was really disappointed in the way that people made fun of him afterwards. The whole point of the resignation was to save some dignity. Again, there is just some maturity lacking there I think. It remains however, that any teacher wanting to teach in the academy has to be good, or they will be ripped a new one. Mr. Weber I think is the first of several people who we will see won't be able to replace the former holder of that position. God knows who Mr. Pozzi's replacement will be. I pity him already.

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

goodness, I am so jealous of you. I am seriously eaten up with jealousy. how could you find the european history test easy? I'm certain I did poorly. oh, for the days of Mr. Ockerlander when I would sacar buenas notas...just kidding; his class was dull.

now I find that I'm one of those awful students who shortens "european history" to "euro." I thought the day would never come, but it has arrived. saying "euro" seems so much more convenient. but I am still, most definitely, a Hypocrite.

wait, grades aren't supposed to matter to me, right? so why do I care if someone gets better grades than me? I do not know. okay, I will determine not to be jealous anymore. a quien le importa las notas? a nadie.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You think Ross is arrogant? Try meeting his sister...bitch from hell. Must run in the family, their mom is a bitch too.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home